Thursday, June 18, 2009

A small TV

I was trying to think of things other than dumbbells that might weigh 30 pounds.  I hit the 30 pound mark this morning, square in the face, the screen read 247.0, I add the point zero because that nice round number is just so nice.  I like to think about the lost weight like it was a large bulky item and it makes it so much more dramatic, when in reality, although I've worked my ass off, it wasn't some protruding goiter sticking out of my side.  I can't stop to celebrate for too long as I still have a ways to go; and this method, my friends, is the slow one... the only one.

I started a new eating program recently and more than being a diet, it was sort of an eye-opener for me.  The book is "Enter the Zone" and it's a bit sciency so I'm not going into all the details here.  Essentially there are 3 macronutrients,

Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat

This country eats an extraordinary amount of carbohydrates.  Did you know that fruits and vegetables are considered carbs?  I didn't.  I never really thought about it.

The premise of this plan is that you eat 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs, and you eat just the right amount to supply your lean body mass with what it needs, you'll lose weight and not only that, perform at your highest level, and it actually works.  The problem is, weighing and measuring your food is very annoying.  So I've done a little bit of weighing and a little bit of counting and although I don't plan on doing this forever, I've learned how much I truly overeat.  I even overeat the good stuff, the stuff you think doesn't matter.  I decided to break my day into 6 meals, fairly small meals and each of them has to contain an equal measure of protein and carbs and an appropriate level of fat.  No one wants to hear all this crap.  Point is, when I stopped just snacking and eating whenever I felt like it and stuck to a plan that included healthy natural food, I felt full more often.  The last meal of the day I don't eat sometimes because I just don't feel like it.  Try to cut out sugar and refined breads and anything sweet, other than fruit for two days and realize how addicted to sugar you are.  It's quite appalling the effect that this had on me, I almost felt like I was crazy.  So I don't believe in total restriction but this little experiment changed my way of thinking.  Once I knew how powerful sugar was, the cravings were a little different.  I had a long day at school the other day and decided to buy a Dr. Pepper, I hadn't had one in a long time so I thought, what the heck?  The first few sips were okay but then I kind of got a headache and I just threw it away, I couldn't even finish a pop.  

That's enough on that, I could go on forever about nutrition and how the food industry is totally screwing us worse than the tobacco companies could ever dream.  There is no surgeon general's warning on the side of a cornflakes box that says....

"Warning, the consumption of this product could cause severe health complications and possibly lead to death", it could.

Did you know that Cornflakes cereal makes your blood sugar rise faster than sugar does?  It's processed so much that your body can immediately turn it into sugar and insulin and whatever else happens that leads to heart disease.  It's not just bacon and butter that's killing us people, wake up and learn something about what you're shoveling into your gullet.  

I've started a new workout way of life, called Crossfit.  Crossfit puts to death any and all old school ways of training, if you think you're fit, try crossfit and you'll know for sure.

The premise of Crossfit is

1.) Functional movements
2.) Constantly varied
3.) High intensity

Go to crossfit.com and see what it's all about, let me warn you, once you try this style of workout, you'll never go back to your old workout without thinking about how you're wasting your time.  I knew about crossfit 5 months ago but was too scared to really get into it, now I can't imagine doing anything else.  some of my workouts last 12 minutes and I guarantee they're more effective than an hour of my old routine.  

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work dude. And way to be brave enough to try Crossfit...it looks terrifying on the website. And since I do not have access to the essential tools that it says I need, I think I'll go ahead and use that as my excuse to not try it.

    But to quote Turk on scrubs "You know, I do what I do what I do" (and I'll keep doing it) z:)

    ReplyDelete