" YEEEEESSSSS, 809 CALORIES, HA, ALRIGHT!!!"
Not only that, but the other members who are present will cheer and clap as their workouts allow. This might sound a little ridiculous but it would be amazing. I really feel like God intended us to do more yelling, not angry yelling, energetic, motivated, battle cry type yelling. The kind of yell you want to yell when Gandolf comes up over the hill on his white horse just in time to save the day. It feels good to scream positive things, it's just hard to find a place to do it.
Has Erik lost weight? Is this actually happening or does he just type about stuff?
I have to say there is a lot of thinking going on when I process my progress. I watch the biggest loser every week and it's hard not to get into that kind of weight loss mentality. I have been consistently working out and eating better since January 13th. I started a little bit right before our trip to Nebraska on New years day but the real progress started when I returned. I weighed 278 pounds on January 13th and as of today March 10th, about 8 weeks later I weigh 262 pounds. My first feeling when seeing this number is, that's it, I feel like I've been going to the gym for years. I do have to remind myself of what has really been accomplished.
1.) 16 pounds lost in 8 weeks
2.) 25 lab hours per week in culinary school
3.) 12 hours per week working at a pizzeria
4.) 7 hours or so of dedicated TV watching per week
5.) I've been to Arby's, coldstone, Zesto's (burger and fries) and a few other junk food outlets during this time.
6.) I drank a 6 pack of beer during one of those weeks. One per day till they were gone
7.) I do homework, read books, sleep in, hang out with my wife
Why am I listing all of this stuff? Because I have to. I have to remind myself that although I am trying to make losing weight my number one priority in life, life still must be lived. I've had the time to do this and this proves it to me. 16 pounds doesn't sound like a lot when I'm watching the biggest loser, but it does when my friends at school and I are inhaling 6 pounds of french fries we made before class (we've been trying to perfect our fry making skills).
When I can go get my favorite ice cream with Jess and the next day weigh less, I really feel like I'm making progress. Progress to me is living normal, healthy, forever. I don't want a boot camp, for some people that would be great, but I need to learn how to make it happen and still be a professional chef, a husband who gets ice cream, a dedicated reality TV show watcher and a perfect french fry maker.
I have realized the importance of fueling my fire. At work we have a wood fired pizza oven. When you are cooking pizzas you have to constantly keep throwing logs onto the fire to maintain the proper temperature. If you forget, not only does the temperature drop but the light from the fire dies and then you can't see any of your pizzas. I constantly fuel myself everyday. I read posts on menshealth.com, listen to dave ramsey, read nutrition books, watch workout videos, watch biggest loser and blog. Most of what I read and hear about nutrition and fitness I already know, I just keep reading to keep myself inspired. Each person has unique things that inspire them, you just have to know what they are. My wife thinks I buy too much stuff, books, cooking utensils, you name it. I do, but sometimes I do it because it keeps me going. Not only in weight loss but in my quest for Chefdom. I may not need a new thermometer or pot but a new one might help get me excited all over again. There is a certain line that needs to be drawn but I feel you get the point. Inspire yourself, nobody else is going to get excited for you, people may be excited about what you are doing but you have to add the logs. In my opinion, losing weight, for good, would be worth an entire bookstore if that's what it took.
16 pounds, 8 weeks, culinary student, no excuses.
the icecream was worth it. soooooo worth it.
ReplyDeletehi erik -- i subscribed to your blog today so that now when jess says, "have you read erik's latest blog entry??" i can say "yes!" :) my favorite part of this particular one was your use of the word "chefdom!"
ReplyDeleteYYYEEESSS!!!! GOOOOO ERIIIIIIIIK!!
ReplyDelete(I just screamed that for you!)
love your sis
So, I'm a little jealous b/c I've been blogging for years and Kinsey's never commented, but whatev. Seriously though...16 lbs is FAB!!! So proud of you!!!
ReplyDeletedude. i now want to join Rain with you and yell. and cheer. and clap. and dance. seriously.
ReplyDeleteyou have always yelled on my behalf. many times you've actually done it literally.
damn dude.... you inspire me. keep kickin' ass and taking names.
I loved the analogy of the logs on the fire. I always wondered why I spent so much on Sunday School. After this many years shouldn't I have it all and not have to be purchasing any more stuff!!! I have a basement full. Your comment of a log on the fire was an ahhhh! moment. Keep screaming but not at Jess she has very sensitive hearing. Char
ReplyDelete16 lbs??? That's Flippin awesome! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!! And I agree, we need more yelling in our culture.
ReplyDelete